The Northwest Mountain School is looking for qualified Alpine Guides to work on our North Cascades Mountaineering Courses and other programs in Washington State. Preference will be given to individuals with AMGA Rock &/or Alpine training or certification. While AMGA experience is not a requirement, we do want individuals interested in pursuing this at some point. We are looking for hard-working people that can provide references from other guides &/or employers. Must have availability from late June through mid-August to be considered for the position. See below for specifics of what we are seeking.
|NMS program in Europe, summer 2011. Living the dream!|
- Minimum of 5 years climbing experience
- AMGA Rock Instructor Course & AMGA Alpine Guides Course or higher would be ideal.
- Minimum of 3 seasons alpine guiding experience.
- Based in Washington and ready to work a full schedule during the peak of the summer season.
|Happy Clients on the summit!|
- 21 years of age or older.
- Current WFR (or higher) and CPR credentials
- Current driver’s license & own transportation
|Rock guiding makes up a large portion of our summer schedule.|
- Represent the guide service in a professional manner: On-time, well groomed, positive attitude, organized, focused on providing a exceptional client experience, and exceptional at risk management.
- Respectful or the relationship between our guide service and the the customers we place you with.
- Available last minute to accept short notice work and able to maintain a flexible schedule from late June-August.
- Familiar with the climbing opportunities in the areas where we guide or willing to become familiar with these spots on your own time prior to working there.
- Be familiar with and supportive of LNT practices and local land manager regulations.
- Have excellent verbal communication and teaching skills and be willing to give and receive constructive feedback.
|North Cascades National Park - No other place like it in the lower 48.|
What we can offer you:
- A stable work environment and the chance to work for a well respected PNW guide service.
- Opportunity to shadow more experienced guides, up to IFMGA level, and further develop your guiding skills.
- Opportunities to guide on Mt. Adams, Mt. Baker, Glacier Peak, North Cascades National Park, and in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
- Leavenworth office location with diverse opportunities for personal rock and alpine climbing minutes from town. Also a great location for white-water boating, road-biking, mountain biking, etc.
- Guide uniform
- Access to professional purchase programs.
- Wage is dependent on experience level.
|In business since 1994, our new office is part of our current push to support our growing programs.|
About the Northwest Mountain School:
NMS is owned and operated by John and Olivia Race, both IFMGA guides. We started in 1994 in Seattle and moved the guide service to Leavenworth in 2000. The guide service has been experiencing steady growth for the past 5-6 years. Our guiding experience includes extensive time in the rock, alpine, and ski disciplines. These trips have ranged from 8000 meter expeditions to Antarctic Sailing-Ski trips, to guided ascents of well traveled and obscure PNW summits. John has guided full-time since 1992 and Olivia since 2001. 2013 season NMS guides include Jared Bonea, Tico Gangulee, Quino Gonzales, Dallas Glass, Kurt Hicks, Dave Heinbach, Joel Kauffman, Pete Keane, Forest McBrian, Chris Meder, Nick Pope, Harlan Sheppard, Austin Shannon, Einar Steinarson, & Evan Woods. We would love to add some women to the line-up! We recently opened an office in downtown Leavenworth and have been developing our Washington business partially in response to being parent’s of 2 year-old. Our sponsors include Patagonia, Petzl, Sportiva, and Cilo Gear.
|Nobody gets rich guiding, but it can provide the opportunity to see a ton of amazing spots.|
How To Apply: Please send inquiries by email only to Alpine Guide Jobs. Include your climbing resume, a brief description of your experience and availability for summer 2013, and your contact information. We will let you know that we have received your information and if we would like to follow up with you. We need to hire 2 additional guides and would prefer to fill the spot with someone we already know or that can provide references from within the guiding community that we know and have worked with. We will fill the space as soon as we find the right person.